October 17, 2011

Canadian Thanksgiving

October is a month to love! The colors are changing, and all around is bursting with beauty! Justin and I were married in October, and three years later we welcomed our first son in the same month... In our family, we have many memories, and special people that make the month of October one to look forward to...

Since moving to Canada, we have one more wonderful occassion to add, and celebrate in October...                                           

Canadain Thanksgiving!

This was a holiday that took a little adjuting to get used to at first, but now, we love having the opportunity to celebrate Thanksgiving early. It gives us an even grater chance to reflect on the things we are already so grateful for.

This year we were able to celebrate Canadian Thanksgiving. And it felt truly like a celebration. For me, it was a celebration of much more than the national holiday... a celebration of our lives, now established, here in Nova Scotia, a celebration of the bountiful blessings we recieve from a loving Father in Heaven, and a celebration of service, compassion, friendship, trials, endurance, and sacrifice. Our hearts were full. We opened our home to recieve all those without family here to celebrate.

This is our Thanksgiving...


The morning kicked off with football! From what I understand, there is nothing better to start thanksgiving day. All were invited to the field. The day was gorgeous. - Blue skies, fall leaves, families, friends, babies, and bulldogs. With hot chocolate and doughnuts for all...








We spent the greater half of the day at the field. The kids were in heaven. We haven`t had a day this enjoyable and carefree in a long time. It was refreshing just to get out and have some fun!
Later that evening we gathered again to spend more time together, and enjoy a wonderful meal.


I have never hosted over 30 people before. It was anyone`s guess how the event would run. With Justin`s suberb and expert help we were able to prepare our small home to recieve the large crowd.

We had a kid table, and decided to feed the children first. Each little one had their own top hat a bonnet. They looked so cute!






After we fed the kiddos they all went downstaris to watch a movie and play. I was surprised how well the kids behaved. There were 13 kids under 7 years old. That is a recipe for chaos. The house was a little crazy with that many kids running around, but definetly not too bad, and I was so glad since it gave the adults an opportunity to visit, enjoy their meal, and one another`s company.



Even though this is a large crowd, we made it possible to gather at one table.
We hoped that all who entered into our home on this day would feel a spirit of Thanksgiving, and know that although they are far from home, they can find a piece of family right here.

We went around this table, and each person expressed gratitude and gave thanks for their many blessings.
Justin was the mastermind behind all of this... and I was so grateful he helped me orchestarte this many people.
I am certain everyone was having a good time.


Later the kids came together to make a little craft. Eeryone had a chance to make a little candy turkey to take home.

Some kids were really into it...
and others couldn`t get passed that they were made of candy...


After the turkey craft we had a little talent show and dessert. All of the kids had prepared a little talent - our kids had been practicing thier dancing and singing skills, and had been looking forward to their performance. :) It was fun and funny to watch out little ones shine in the spotlight! The end of the talent show turned into one big dance party. These kids are more talented than we give them credit for.


I am grateful we were able to celebrate Canadaian Thanksgiving this year, and in the way we did.
I was grateful today for good friends. So much of our experience here is affected by the people around us.
This year I am greatful more than ever for my spouse. I am blessed beyond messure to have been married to my best friend for the past 5 years. I am grateful for my children, and the tremendous blessing each one represents.
This is a wonderful holiday, it has come and gone here in Canada, but the spirit of Thanksgiving will remain in our hearts throughout the season.

Happy Thanksgiving from Canada!


No comments: