July 7, 2011

End of 2nd Year

We were in Utah when Justin finished his second year of Dental School. 
We hadn't seen him in 2 weeks, and we had missed him so much! 
We made him this little poster to celebrate, and welcome him back to Utah.
A trip home was the perfect reward for all his hard work. 


At the airport, we waited at the bottom of the escalator with the kids holding this sign for daddy. A man looked at the kids as he walked by and said to me "I wish I was DDS II. THat is the cutest thing I've ever seen." The kids holding their sign, waiting for daddy, was pretty darn cute. None of us liked being away from him, and we were so happy to be together once again! 


When the kids first saw him, they were hugging him non stop. Miley kept wrapping her arms tightly around his neck, and Scotlin just kept starring at him - he could not take his eyes off his dad! They were thrilled!


Congratulations Just! Another year down, and 2 more closer to being finished. 
Half way there! It's all down hill from here!! ;)


Our second year here was one big swift kick in the butt! 
Fortunately, we know our trials are for our good. 
Gratefully, we had a tremendous support system, and wonderful people around us. 

I was talking with one of the first year girls yesterday. I asked her how she was doing now that her first year had come and gone. She enlightened me: she thought she knew what she signed up for when she came here. She said she knew this was going to be hard, and a lot of hard work. She thought she had come prepared, only to find out this was so much harder than she ever thought it would be. 
I remember feeling that exact same way. 
My dad put it this way: Every one of us would take the easier road if given the choice. We don't necessarily want to go through hard things to get where we are going, but how much greater will we be if we have more to endure, and if we are stretched and tried on our journey? 
2nd year was a trial for our family. But, luckily that hard time helped us to stretch and grow more than we would have been able to without it. 
This past year I have come to accept a lot of things. I have learned to "Grow Up" a bit more (hopefully!). 
My mom has a beautiful scripture plaque that sits on her kitchen counter. I had passed by it so many times. I remember this past spring, when I felt like I had almost had the life sucked right out of me, I prayed so hard for help and for answers. One day, while passing it by, the scriptural words on that plaque leapt right out at me, spoke to my heart, and came as an answer to my prayers... 

"Be STRONG and of a GOOD COURAGE, For the LORD, THY GOD is with thee.

Being here, and enduring the trials we have faced has given me an added measure of Strength and Courage. Seeing this reminder, and feeling it again in my heart was a testimony to me that the Lord has been here with me all along. I am so grateful. I am refreshed, and ready to meet the next two years with a better attitude, with even more Strength, and even Greater Courage. 
So, thank you 2nd year. Thank you for kicking my but right into shape! 
As much as it hurts sometimes, I am so grateful for these trials. I know that Heavenly Father has a plan for me, and I am climbing it, in exactly the right direction he would have me go. 

No comments: